A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Poll on Languages for Links

A poll: I'd like to know if the readers of this blog want links to sites in other languages (mostly French and Arabic, since my Hebrew and Farsi are rudimentary and my Turkish nonexistent; maybe the rare other European language). I've put a polling box there on the right sidebar, right under the picture of the Journal, with an end date of March 31. I'd appreciate it if you'd vote there rather than in the comments box. I'm no HTML expert so this is pretty much the Google gadget unrefined: our IT folks at MEI are very busy getting a new and much-improved website ready, so I'm winging the tech side of this blog, and I'm a bit of a greybeard for this sort of thing.

And since we're on languages, let me note that in my early postings I referred to Avigdor Lieberman's party as "Yisrael Beitenu," since that seemed to this non-fluent-Hebrew-speaker the best transliteration of ישראל ביתנו, but given the fact that the party itself spells it "Yisrael Beiteinu" (despite the fact there is no second yod in the written form) I'll be adopting that. I'm not certain if Arabic/Hebrew characters will show up on your screen if you don't have the proper settings on your browser

No comments: