A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Heir Presumptive Has an Heir

Egypt isn't officially a monarchy again (yet), but heir apparent Gamal Mubarak's wife Khadiga has just had a daughter, Farida, born in Germany where everybody in the Mubarak family seems to be at the moment (or maybe in the US: there seem to be conflicting reports and the semi-official account I linked to doesn't say). Congratulations to the proud parents and grandparents, I'm sure.

Hmm . . . am I the only one that immediately thought of another Farida: Queen Farida, King Farouq's first queen? Hmm.

Update: In other news from the Mubarak family, there are reports Farida's granddad will return to Egypt "within hours."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another Farida? What I remember from my time in Cairo as a Fulbright Scholar in the mid-1960s was Farida Beer. Not great, but certainly better than Egyptian wine!

David Mack said...

Sorry not to have left my name on the previous comment. David Mack